How do you think the world will end?

frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Posts: 765
edited June 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
With a bang or a whisper?

Will our technological marvels become technological terrors Terminator style?

Will we be invaded from alien beings and exterminated or have to leave our planet because of pollution (think Wall-E)

Disease or nuclear war?
Post edited by frozenwithsalt on

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    The world will not end, but some people on it will I believe and they say that mighty angels will approach the earth with Gods son but it does not say how death will be administered but it does say people will faint out of fear so I suppose it would be really scary if you are a believing christian and believe the word and good book.. If your athiest I suppose there belief would be global warming or a nuclear war
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    Human beings will die off due to a virus.

And every other species here on Earth will breathe a sigh of relief and say...

Thank God we finally got rid of those assholes.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Or that.

My mom actually says she HOPES a virus comes along and wipes out at least half of the human population, and that she's perfectly happy to be one of the victims if it means that the human problem gets under control, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    The time period between when the dino-killer asteroid hit and the last dinosaur died took an estimated 33,000 - 100,000 years.

We could easily be within our extinction period right now and not even know it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • PJ_Soul said:

Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)

That's a very real possibility. Like that movie Last Night. It doesn't really say it's an asteroid but that's my take on it.

Awesome movie.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Just ask Jesus.. problem solved...
    edited June 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)

That's a very real possibility. Like that movie Last Night. It doesn't really say it's an asteroid but that's my take on it.

Awesome movie.
    I can't believe you mentioned that movie! It's one of my very favorite movies of all time but no one's ever heard of it! (I have a "thing" for the apocalyptic theme). So that's awesome. Let's be friends, lol. :) I actually think that the world stopped.rotating in that movie. Not an asteroid. The reason I think that is because the sun never moves. It's in the same place the whole time, beating down on them, it's noon daylight at all times. The only explanation for that is that the earth is no longer spinning. How that would end everything at a particular time I'm not clear on...... if I ever run into Don McClelland it would be the first thing I'd ask him!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)

Awesome movie.
    I can't believe you mentioned that movie! It's one of my very favorite movies of all time but no one's ever heard of it! (I have a "thing" for the apocalyptic theme). So that's awesome. :) I actually think that the world stopped.rotating in that movie. Not an asteroid. The reason I think that is because the sun never moves in that movie. It's in the same place the whole time, beating down on them, it's noon daylight at all times. The only explanation for that is that the earth is no longer spinning. How that would end everything at a particular time I'm not clear on...... if I ever run into Don McClelland it would be the first thing I'd ask him!

I love the last piano scene, off all the ways all those people in the auditorium could have decided to spend their final moments they decided to die listening to music.

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)

Awesome movie.
    I can't believe you mentioned that movie! It's one of my very favorite movies of all time but no one's ever heard of it! (I have a "thing" for the apocalyptic theme). So that's awesome. :) I actually think that the world stopped.rotating in that movie. Not an asteroid. The reason I think that is because the sun never moves in that movie. It's in the same place the whole time, beating down on them, it's noon daylight at all times. The only explanation for that is that the earth is no longer spinning. How that would end everything at a particular time I'm not clear on...... if I ever run into Don McClelland it would be the first thing I'd ask him!

I love the last piano scene, off all the ways all those people in the auditorium could have decided to spend their final moments they decided to die listening to music.

Yes!! Such a great movie. :)
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004

That's how I feel too...
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

With a bang or a whisper?

I opened this thread with the full intention of responding, 'not with a bang, but with a whisper' and you done beat me to it! ;)

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668

Pretty much this, if you count that as the end of the world. There may be small remote pockets of humans who survive, but it would seriously change the landcape of the world and set back (forward?) the course of civilization.

Even if an asteroid hit thats an extinction level event, organisms will live on. There should be some survival and some sort of evolution.

Eventually the sun will blow up and it will end the world completely. Maybe we can get our shit together and colonize or at least spread life throughout cosmos before that happens.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I'm gonna go with asteroid too. I think a virus would more likely severly decrease the population, but I don't think every single person would die from a virus.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Hmmm. That's humans dying, not the world ending.

We're ants, nothing more (though ego might argue with this).

Unless someone thinks humans = earth and all life, much will continue to live beyond us, as it did before.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)

Awesome movie.

Yes!! Such a great movie. :)
    Yes! Or "Melancholia"- another great end-of-the-world movie.

If a giant asteroid were to do us in I would hope to be lucky enough to see it hit rather than be on the other side of the planet when it hits. What a sight that would be! You can't have enough money to buy tickets for that kind of show! And that would be so much better a way to end this tangles world than by slow rotting due to pollution or slow die off of most species due to climate change or nuclear radiation or any of the other poisons we create.

In any case, the likely answer to the OP's question as stated are really only one of these two:
    -Hit my massive object like a rogue planet or giant asteroid or
    -Engulfed in terrific heat as the sun swells in it's white dwarf stage.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    edited June 2014
    Its inevitable that the sun will run out of fuel. It will expand, gobbling up the earth and all the gorgeous Bob Ross paintings and Pearl Jam records. Then it will pull back into a white dwarf. Whether or not the folks with money find a way to ditch this marble and escape off to ruin another planet is hard to predict, since it wont happen for quite some time.

How will the world end is an interesting question if you consider if people will be around for it or not.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I think that one day we will all just be going on about our business like we normally do and
  • rick1zoo2 said:

I think that one day we will all just be going on about our business like we normally do and

yep - we are not guaranteed any warning, hopefully if that is the case I will be with my children not at work..
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Well technically (from what we know) The next cosmic event to affect our world, galaxy, sun, solar system is the head-on collision between the Andromeda galaxy and (our) Milky Way galaxy.

The Sun will (apparently) have a new location and so will our stars. What does that mean for earth/our world? Who really knows.

Of course M33 (Triangulum galaxy) may hit our milky way first.

• Idris said:

Well technically (from what we know) The next cosmic event to affect our world, galaxy, sun, solar system is the head-on collision between the Andromeda galaxy and (our) Milky Way galaxy.

The Sun will (apparently) have a new location and so will our stars. What does that mean for earth/our world? Who really knows.

Of course M33 (Triangulum galaxy) may hit our milky way first.

Wow. Those are beautiful images. Makes you realize how precious or insignificant we all are, depending on your point of view.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Personally I think we all are both precious and insignificant. If that makes any sense!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Two words ... Mega Maid

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    humans are gonna kill themselves off due to technology...

There are people who think like the government in China thinks "there is no global warming/fuck air pollution" (if you aren't familiar China has the worst air pollution in the world) so the earth will continue to have a massive warming effect (I recently read an article about it-when I find it, I will post it). Humans will stupidly build more machines/buildings to keep cool, which will continue to contribute to warming, and eventually we will all just die off because it's too damn hot/polluted to survive.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    RKCNDY said:

humans are gonna kill themselves off due to technology...

There are people who think like the government in China thinks "there is no global warming/fuck air pollution" (if you aren't familiar China has the worst air pollution in the world) so the earth will continue to have a massive warming effect (I recently read an article about it-when I find it, I will post it). Humans will stupidly build more machines/buildings to keep cool, which will continue to contribute to warming, and eventually we will all just die off because it's too damn hot/polluted to survive.

Yeah, if we're talking about the end of the world as in the end of human existence on the planet then I'm guessing any of these could easily do us in:

-Global warming (also top of my list)
    -Over-pollution of oceans
    -Nuclear radiation from either a larger Fukushima type event or nuclear war
    -Pandemic by airborne virus
    -Reversal of poles
    -Earth hit by large enough meteor to cause large mammal extinction
    -Grey Goo (a result of out-of-control nanotechnology, less likely than once predicted)
    -A.I. machine take over/extermination of human life
    -Black hole created by Haldron Collider
    -Evolve into another species
    -Alien Invasion
    -"Mega Maid" (haha- I like that one!)

Many of those scenarios would possibly allow for small isolated groups of humans to carry on. That would be interesting.

So many ways to worry every day about our survival... but is that how we want to spend our days? Better to do what each of us can to make the world a little better, enjoy the time we have, and be good to each other and ourselves.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Giant asteroid.

(Not kidding)

Awesome movie.
    I can't believe you mentioned that movie! It's one of my very favorite movies of all time but no one's ever heard of it! (I have a "thing" for the apocalyptic theme). So that's awesome. Let's be friends, lol. :) I actually think that the world stopped.rotating in that movie. Not an asteroid. The reason I think that is because the sun never moves. It's in the same place the whole time, beating down on them, it's noon daylight at all times. The only explanation for that is that the earth is no longer spinning. How that would end everything at a particular time I'm not clear on...... if I ever run into Don McClelland it would be the first thing I'd ask him!
    That's one of my favourite movies too. There's actually a framed poster signed by Don McKellar above my TV set. It's made out to 'Sabina's sister' because my sister sent an e-mail to the production company asking if there was any chance of buying two posters because we loved the movie when we saw it at TIFF and it would probably never be released where we live. They did her one better, had McKellar sign two when he was at the office and sent them over for free with a nice message.

I wouldn't want to know when it's going to end though. I think the movie had some rather accurate ideas about people's behaviour in that case.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    brianlux said:

-Evolve into another species
    -

Why have I not thought of that before... That makes perfect sense

2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    here is a good site that I have read most of over the years. It hashes over many possible scenarios

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I was without power for an hour the other night, and I thought "is this what the end of the world is like?"
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I was without power for an hour the other night, and I thought "is this what the end of the world is like?"

The Amish would laugh at this ;)